DSC00790

Inside the tool chest.

 

The tool chest is a complete shell now. I used the cutoff from ripping the bottom board as the lowest back board. I put the tongue on top to mate with the rest of the T&G boards. I had to put a rabbet on the other three sides to make the 11/16″ board line up flush with my 1/2″ fir which makes up the rest of the back. You can also see the notch in the front of the shelf which the lock batten slides through. I glued the dovetails, and for the shelf I drilled and counterbored holes for #6 screws through the sides. I’ll plug them afterwards so once the paint is on they will be invisible.

 

DSC00798

Clamp on…

DSC00799

… and plane to 30°.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In my excitement putting the front bits on I forgot to do the bead. Oh well. Now there are nails where it would go anyway. The T&G boards were all nailed on and trimmed flush with the ends. The top board I planed the angle down to match the sides. The wonder dog is truly great for unconventional clamping setups like this. Having the tool chest hanging off the apron at the right height made this easy.

 

DSC00806

The fall front locking mechanism.

 

There was a bit of fiddling to get the locking batten exactly the right width. It has to be tight enough to lock the fall front in without any movement, but not so tight that it’s troublesome to insert and remove. Careful trial and error got it dialled in.  I also put a coat of paste wax on the batten to make it slick once it was sized right. The two battens screwed to the ends are snugly fit to the inside width so that takes up the side to side play. Each has a 5/8″ overhang on the bottom to catch behind the lower lip.

 

DSC00791

Plácido, José, and Luciano

 

The next order of business was putting breadboard ends on the lid. The lid used to be the top of the desk. It’s made up of 4 different glued together boards, and the two widest are flat grained. It already had a slight cup to it, so in time it would only get worse. The breadboard ends will hopefully keep it flat and allow it to expand and contract without splitting.

I don’t have a rabbet plane, so I did this with saws and chisels. It worked alright but took along time. The rabbet plane has moved up the list.

 

DSC00796

All set up for drawboring.

 

I chose to drawbore the tenons on the breadboard to keep it snug. There’s no glue in this joint at all. It came out pretty well I think. Only time will tell if it’ll do the job. It’s a pretty wide panel made of some pretty sub-par boards. I hot glued some small blocks on the front edge so that I can have the lid sit in place with gravity for now. This will also help while I install the hardware. I’ll have to wait until my next trip into town to get to Lee Valley for the hinges and the handles on the side of the chest. The handles are very essential, as it’s difficult to pick the chest up now when it has a few planes and chisels in it. The sides are smooth so there’s nothing to grab.

 

DSC00803

The exterior of the chest and lid done.

 

DSC00792

Now the fun part.